Behind The Seams

How I Make My Daisy Tags

I've had lots of people ask me where I get my daisy tags from. Truth is, I make them! I got the how-to several years ago from another blog. I'm 97.26% sure that it was Funky Junk Interiors but it was a long time ago and I don't quite remember. But her stuff is adorable and you should just click over there and check it out anyway...I'll wait...

You're back? OK...tags.

So, this is what my tags look like, hot off the press.



And here they are all sewn into some DLD oil carrier goodness...



And here's how I make them.
Note: you'll need a tray fed ink printer. Gravity fed doesn't work as well, and laser is a no-go.

First off, the daisy itself is a stamp I bought - also 100 years ago. At Michael's. Or Hobby Lobby. One of those. And I stamped it on paper, colored it in and scanned it into the computer so I could make it whatever size I liked.

For a while, I used to make 1.5" square tags that had Daisy Lane Design along the bottom. If you have a bag with one of those, you have one of the original DLD items from the WAY beginning of things.

Somewhere along the line, I switched the the small size you see on everything today. And I shrunk down the daisy and lost the words (shooting for brand recognition and a household name and icon status and all...ahem).

Now I have a PDF with 15 daisies, all lined up in 3 lines and turned 45 degrees.

First step is to print a sheet of daisies.


Second, is to lay a piece of double sided tape down on each row, making sure that no tape hangs off the edge. (Truth in picture taking...that first picture has tape too, I just forgot to take a pic before taping - carry on)


Third, cut a length of 1/2" wide twill tape, long enough to cover over each line of daisies... I buy this in bulk from Joann.com.


Next, re-run the page with the twill tape through the printer and voila! Daisies!

The big space in between each one allows me to fold each tag so that the little leaf is on the fold, and I can leave enough of a tail to catch in the seam allowance of whatever I'm sewing up. There is a learning to curve to placing the twill tape just right. Best to smooth it down well on to that tape so that it really sticks. I repeat the process several times, but when the tape starts to lose some of its stickiness, I stop for the day so that the tape doesn't start moving on me and my daisies wind up less than centered.


I keep them in strips, and cut them as I use them...


I think they're super cute. What do you think?



 :) allison

Comments

Popular Posts