Confession #7

When it comes to staying in the moment, I could do better. 

I took my very first yoga class tonight. It was a lovely beginner class that involved the stretching and engaging of muscles I wasn't ever aware were there. I feel all loosey goosey and gooey. I don't really know how else to explain it. Throughout the class, the instructor kept bringing us back to center...to a neutral position, to a resting transition. And she kept saying things like, "If your brain has wandered off, bring it back. It doesn't need to be on the laundry or the shopping list, those things can wait. Focus on your body, your breathing. Focus on your intention." Each time, I was on one of those mental adventures. I had to keep being reminded of staying in the moment.

Multi-tasking is something I take great pride in. I can sew and watch TV, text and participate in a conversation, make dinner, let the dog out, change the laundry, sign homework logs all while thinking through tomorrow's to do list. I am never really fully there.

How can I be?!

When it comes to staying in the moment, I'm actually kind of terrible at it!

I follow a blog - maybe some of you know it - called Hands Free Mama. It is one woman's journey toward being present in her life for the sake of her children, her family. Her posts often reduce me to tears, because they are so compelling. I want a little bit of that.

I want to fully enjoy and be present for my husband and my kids.

I want to do the thing that is in front of me to the best of my ability without my brain wandering off to greener pastures. Yes, even if that means while I'm doing the laundry or the food shopping.

I want to give the best of me to my orders and my customers, and not worry about whether there will be another order to take its place once this one is done.

I want to take time for me occasionally, even if it's just a yoga class one day a week. That was fantastic! And to not feel guilty for being there and for only focusing on that. (That will take a bit more work)

I know that giving myself fully to the task at hand will improve my doing of that thing.
It will also release me from each task as I complete them to move on to the next.

Step 1:
Finish writing this post all in one sitting, without stopping to brush my teeth, make the coffee for tomorrow,  get a cup of water, look for my chapstick.

Done.

Let's see what tomorrow brings.
:) allison

Comments

Carrie said…
It is so hard to live in the moment, especially in the fast pace multi tasking world we live in. But I'm right there with you, wanting to bring my mind back to center
Carrie said…
It is so hard to live in the moment, especially in the fast pace multi tasking world we live in. But I'm right there with you, wanting to bring my mind back to center
Karen La Du said…
LIVE IN THE MOMENT.
The Buddhists call our distractions "the Monkey Mind". We must constantly be aware of being taken over by "the Monkey Mind"
More meditation & yoga makes us more productive.
More Multi-Tasking makes us less productive.
XOKaren

Popular Posts