Facebook Like Button

Follow Me on Pinterest

twitter like button

Monday, October 5, 2015

Confession #6

I'm a bit of a Hoarder.

Don't worry. It's nothing like what you've seen on Lifetime. Your orders haven't been made in any kind of the situations you've seen on TV. And by using the word Hoarder, I am in no way trying to belittle or insult the people who do in fact struggle with such a thing.

But I do understand it, at least a little.

I have always held on to everything. My mom loves telling stories about how I'd hold on to every scrap of paper as a kid. She thinks it's less funny now, when she's helping me organize the new shop, and she asks me things like, "Do you really need this 6" strap of twine?" and I answer "Yes" and then she has to file it away with the other 6" pieces of twine. But she's gotten good and smiling and nodding and putting it away. Bless her.

I've talked about this problem before, and posted pictures in other blog posts.

See, the problem is, is that I see all these little bits and bobs as useful.

And they are, because I can make things out of them...

I can made banners out of strips of fabric left over from coordinating cash envelope fabrics...


And I can make pillow covers in a whole host of fabric patchwork pieces...


I can use even the tiniest pieces to make appliqu├ęs...


And I can use bigger scraps to mash up together in a simple wallet...


The most fun thing I can do is make a gift bag for my mom's Christmas present and make her laugh so hard at having her "Do you really need this?" be shown that yes, yes I really do. 



I guess my hoarding is really squirreling. I collect up remnants of pretty things and save them for a rainy day. When I pull them out and make something new with them, it sparks joy. I remember what I used each one for, originally. Just in the above bag, the peacock eye was from my very first apron and apron class. The watermelon seeds were used in a bib. The polka dots and chairs I used in cash envelopes, the diamonds an apron for a wedding shower gift, the plaid a farm bib set and the bottom floral, my first sundress.

There is a difference between holding on to things out of habit and holding on to things that really can be useful and make you happy and make others happy.

It's part of what I learned while reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up.

I know that there are things in my shop and in my business that I can and will weed out. There are things I've held on to for fear that I might need them someday, but really, when I look at them, they don't excite me, they don't make me feel creative or passionate about making anything with them. And there are patterns and projects that have that I have no desire to finish and should anyone order them, I would groan inwardly - because I really don't want to make them anymore.

Those are the things that I need to purge. Those are the things that I don't need to hoard. And those are the things that I am ready to let go of.

:) allison



1 comment:

karenladu said...

YES, YES, YES! Holding on to things that inspire is NOT hoarding. IT is the artist's process.
Keep on keeping those beautiful pieces of fabric. Your bags and flags will be the treasured heirlooms that patchwork quilts from the 18th century are today!
God Bless you for not wasting!
Karen