Confession #22

I love working on t-shirt quilts

They are big and bulky and I wish I could take some pictures of the contortionist's job I have to do to get them sewn up, but I truly love each and every t-shirt quilt I have made. They are intimidating and time consuming and take forever to complete, simply because they are not the main focus of my business, but each one is unique. Each one tells a story of the family that has asked me to make it, and each family has trusted me to cut up bits of their memories and to hand them back to them as something more.

Whether it be a collection of memories of a life fighting fires...



Or the uniforms worn everyday as you reported to work as the boss and owner of your own business...



Of the childhood artwork of your adult daughter that you had saved over the years...



Or your family's rec jerseys...



Or photo memories...


Or your son's high school sports activities and favorite teams...


Pieced together over time...


I love making them - and thank you for letting me. There's one on the table waiting for me tomorrow and two more waiting for me after this one is done. One day I hope to get to one of my own! If for no other reason it justifies all those bins of fabric labeled "clothes to hold onto for t-shirt quilts" 

;) allison

Comments

karenladu said…
An interesting and practical way to save memories.
Karen

Popular Posts