Facebook Like Button

Follow Me on Pinterest

twitter like button

Monday, October 19, 2015

Confession #20

Sometimes working by yourself all the time is lonely.

I can hear the mental eye roll from people who have to go to work everyday. I get it. I promise I do. I did that for a long time before staying home with kids and then starting to work for myself. Trust me, I'm not going to pretend that being able to work in your pjs and watch Netflix all day isn't a bit dreamy, because it is.

But it is also lonely. Because you can, if you want to, work in your pjs. All day. Every day. And no one really looks all that great if they just roll out to the shop in what they wore the night before and by 4pm when they're making dinner they're still in the same clothes.

And Netflix, while it fills the room with sound, does not fill the day with meaningful conversation and interaction and people. It just fills the room with noise. And social media, for all its benefits is a poor substitution for real contact with actual friends.

So, some rules I try to follow when working from home:
1. Get up and get ready as if you have a job outside of the home to go to.
Even if it's just jeans and a t-shirt - do your hair, brush your teeth, put on some makeup. You never know where the day will take you. Someone might even invite you out for coffee or sushi! You'll be ready to go.

2. Set goals and make to do lists for each day.
Never a good feeling when you don't attack the day, and then it's lunch time and then it's the end of the day and nothing got done. Blah.

3. Take a break. Do something out there in the world each day. Even if it's just a trip to the post office to see Mr. Jack. Trust me, you'll feel better.

This is my pep talk for tomorrow. I didn't follow rule 1 and 2 today and I was grumpy and not nearly as productive as I could be. But I did go see Mr. Jack at the post office today. And as always, he made me smile. It's a step in the right direction for tomorrow.

:) allison



2 comments:

karenladu said...

Working at home is a real challenge.
I have a totally strict routine each morning.
It has to be adhered to or you get nothing done.
Children, parents, neighbors see you at home and cannot comprehend that you are working.
Yes, take a break, that is the best.
So is having a "no makeup day"
Personally I love the days when I start working as soon as I awake after my journaling, prayers & yoga.
Then the creativity flows. ......just don't start doing laundry or you get distracted when you pass by the laundry room....multitasking is not good!
Warm Regards,
Karen

daisy lane design said...

It's all about routine for sure. And balance! :)