Facebook Like Button

Follow Me on Pinterest

twitter like button

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Confession #15

Sometimes I get discouraged by other people's newsfeeds.

Looking at all the beautiful pictures of crafty and creative people online, it can be inspiring. But it can also be overwhelming. It's very easy to compare yourself and what you do to what other people are doing out there. But it's important not to...and important to remember that what we see is just the best version of what's going on with them.

It's not a deceptive. That's not what I mean. Just like we style our hair and put on makeup and brush our teeth in the morning, online shops do that for their product. To help people connect to their stuff. I do it too. To a less professional degree than some, and to a more professional degree than others.

About a week or so ago, I posted this cash envelope set on my Facebook page and my Instagram feed, and it was pretty well received, compared to other things I put up there.

It's a good looking picture, I think. Decent lighting, nice show of the fabrics involved.




But it only tells part of the story. Like how I took about 6 shots that all looked like this...






And how if I pulled back and showed you the real scope of the work room, there was nothing polished and organized about it. Just a corner of a table with a white background. Caught some decent light, stood on a chair so my shadow wasn't hovering over it and snapped the final picture. 



The first picture isn't a lie. That's exactly what it looked like when it was received by the customer who bought it. But the last picture is the truth as well. And it's every creative's truth. At some point, we're all a mess! I need to keep it in mind when I see one perfect picture after another from some of my favorite shops. They have good days, and bad days. Days where they nail it and others where they don't. Good ideas and ideas that they like but no one else does. It all happens to all of us. 

:) allison 








4 comments:

karenladu said...

You are beating yourself up.
Any of us who have our own businesses and do our own promotion, photography,etc. know what is involved.
You are deceiving yourself if you believe that the people who's posts you see that are so FABULOUS are doing all this on their own.
You and I really need to talk face to face someday to give each other encouragement and so I can share with you my experiences.
Have a good one.
Karen

daisy lane design said...

Not beating myself up, not at all!
Reminding myself and others that we all put our best foot forward, but there is more to the story. To remember that for every slick picture we see out there, there is hard work and sweat and tears and failures and frustrations and bad versions of it before the good one came. But the good ones come! Mine and yours, and the well established shop and the person who just started out.

Sorry if that part of the message didn't come across as well as I planned. That's what I meant. There are people and shops further along in this journey...I'm inspired by them, but also reminding myself that they have their hard times too. And there are shops who are less far along than me, that look at my milestones and wonder how they can ever get there. I'm just trying to be authentic. Sometimes everything comes together. Sometimes it's a mess. It's all part of the story :)

Val said...

I loved this post. And it is so true. That IS what your post challenge...confessions. Authenticity. You nailed it! I think you are so brave :-) I also love your cash envelope system example. That visual is perfect! I purpose to be authentic that way, for the sake of others, and it is hard sometimes. HARD. But, I want to be true. I know you do also. These posts are so inspiring! Keep it up!

Val said...

I loved this post. And it is so true. That IS what your post challenge...confessions. Authenticity. You nailed it! I think you are so brave :-) I also love your cash envelope system example. That visual is perfect! I purpose to be authentic that way, for the sake of others, and it is hard sometimes. HARD. But, I want to be true. I know you do also. These posts are so inspiring! Keep it up!