Customer Design Entry #3

Reusable Snack Bags
I'm not going to lie. I have been asked to make these lots of times and have put it off. (Apologies especially to Christina, who has asked more than once!) Here's the reason: I'm not really sure how to go about it. The construction part - that part is easy. But the materials part. Don't get me wrong. I am all for green ideas and doing our part to save the earth and making smart choices. But making something in a wipeable fabric doesn't necessarily solve those problems. I did some research on laminates and the results were very mixed. Some people think they are perfectly safe, others think they are of the devil. I walked away more confused than not. I turned to my friend Kelly, who owns and runs Growing Up Wild, a hugely successful etsy shop that focuses on baby items made from earth friendly and organic materials. She is qualified in this area. She has made a few snack bags for her own kids, hand-treating fabric by dipping it in beeswax. I don't even know where to begin with that. When I was about to get in touch with Robin W., who brought this idea to me and tell her that I just don't know how to pull it off - I talked to my mom and she said, "Why don't you just make a bag out of fabric that can be washed? Before plastic baggies and all that stuff, people just used to wrap their sandwiches, etc in a cloth napkin and go on their way." Huh.

So I give you, a reusable snack bag, courtesy of Robin W:

Made with pre-washed 100% cotton print on the outside and pre-washed 100% unbleached cotton muslin on the inside. It measures 7 1/4" wide and 4 1/2" tall.



It closes with a velcro strip all the way across the top and is lined with batting.
It doesn't have a wipeable surface, like most reusable snack bags. But you can turn it inside out and machine wash it. Then it's clean and ready to use again.


I had my son pose with it while he was out enjoying his snack yesterday (glory be, we had sun!) and he wants to know if I can make him one.


Thanks for reading through my reasons for going this route. Remember to stop by tomorrow to see design entry #4!


Next week is voting!
:)
allison

Comments

Allison said…
Sounds like my experience with warming left covers without a microwave...duh put it in the oven! Great idea!
Thanks Allison. Yeah, sometimes the easiest solutions escape me. Glad I'm not the only one! :)

Popular Posts