Facebook Like Button

Follow Me on Pinterest

twitter like button

Friday, February 14, 2014

Tutorial - Jersey Knit Infinity Scarf

Happy Valentine's Day! Sharing my love for sewing today with a short and sweet tutorial. There are lots of versions of this on Pinterest, including some with very cute ruffle fabric. I am not a ruffle girl, but they look very cute on the models. Me, I'm a t-shirt and jeans girl who really didn't even like including this picture of myself, but here I am....smiling at you....telling you you can make one of these. Note: The one I'm wearing is cut 10" wide. The one in the tutorial is 12" wide and I like it better. It's fuller. Use that information for your own personal edification. :)





Ok, so you will need about 1 1/4" yard of thin jersey fabric. This is from Hobby Lobby. They have lots, including several colors of the ruffle stuff. I'm sure Joann's or your local fabric store carries it too. I just happened to be in HL when I spotted this. You will also need pins, your machine and matching thread. A rotary cutter and mat really help for this, but if you don't have them, sharp scissors and a ruler should work.


Take note of the pattern. In my case, this is the direction the material came off the bolt. If I cut left to right, (with the stripes) I would have long stripes in my scarf. I wanted the stripes to cut across the scarf instead. So I turned my fabric 90 degrees so that the stripes were going the other way. Then I folded the fabric in half and in half again so that when I cut, I only had to cut once. 


Getting ready to cut, here below. I am going to be cutting across the stripes, not with the stripes. I made two 12" cuts. If you are using a ruler and scissors, eye-ball it the best you can. The nice thing about jersey is that it curls up on itself, so getting close is close enough.


Here are my two striped strips. They are 1 1/4 yards long by 12" wide.


Then I went back and just trimmed up the raggedy cut ends of each strip.


Lay the short edge of one strip on top of the other, wrong sides together. There is a wrong side to jersey. Take a look at a t-shirt and see how one side just looks slightly better than the other. Those (the slightly not as great sides)
are the sides that should be touching at this point.


Stitch the shorts ends together using a 1/4"seam and reverse stitching at the beginning and end to secure your stitches. Making sure you don't have a twist in your strips, repeat the process on the other short end. You will have a very long loop of stripe-y goodness.



Flip the loop around so that the raw edges of the short side seams are hidden. Roll the seam between your fingers until it comes to the top, nice and crisp (as crisp as jersey will get) and pin again. Then re-stitch on this side, using a 1/2" seam, reverse stitching beginning and end. Your second seam will encase the raw edges of your first seam, making a French seam. Repeat for the other short side.


There is that French seam. It makes a little bump, but that can be hidden up around the back of your neck when you wear your scarf. Trim your strings and ta-da - new accessory.


Happy sewing! :) allison

No comments: