Candy Corn Tutorial


It's getting chilly around here. Soon it will be time for all things Fall, which is my absolute favorite season. Some people mourn summer's passing. Not me. I love when things get chilly at night, and it's time to make soups and snuggle in blankets. I love all the smells and sights and sounds. And I love all the holiday food that is soon to follow. The only thing I don't like about fall is how fast it all smashes into winter. Today is September 16, and tomorrow we will wake up and it'll be January 2, I just know it.

To slow the season down, and perhaps keep me from eating everything in sight (ya know, cause my hands are busy) I made some adorable stuffed candy corn this weekend. And I think you should too, so I'm sharing how I did it. However, if you don't sew or don't have time, some of these will be in the shop for the season, AND one lucky person will win one. :)

You will need:
1/4 yard  of each of the three candy corn colors.
Thread to match or contrast.
A piece of paper or light cardboard to make your pattern.
A disappearing ink fabric pen.
Straight pins.
Fiberfill stuffing.
Scissors for cutting fabric.

I also used a rotary cutter and mat, a tube turner to push out my corners (or chopstick, or pencil, or the tip of your scissors if you're careful), and an ironing board and iron.

Start with your three colors. Traditionally, candy corn is white, then orange, then yellow on the bottom. I chose three cotton prints. You could use a different color scheme, homespun, flannel...whatever you like. Changing the fabric will change up the overall feel, so play around with it. You won't need 1/4 yard, but shops are grumpy about cutting less.


Next, you need to make your pattern. Freehand a very large candy corn onto a piece of paper. Mine was 7 1/2" tall and 6" wide at the bottom. But I never freehand perfectly, so after I made my corn, I folded it in half and cut it so I would only use it one side and then my corn would be symmetrical. Kind of like drawing half hearts on folded pieces of paper and then cutting them out. Mark your corn with a pencil to show where you want to colors to change. Then measure the width of each section.


The top section was 2 1/2" tall. The middle section was 4 1/2" tall and the bottom section was 3" tall. So I cut my fabrics to match.


Once you have your fabrics cut, place the strip of white on top of the strip of orange, right sides together and raw edges matching, and pin them along the top edge. Using a 1/2" seam, sew them together and then press the seam toward the orange fabric.


Then, take the orange/white piece and place it down on the yellow piece, same as before. Once sewn,  press the seam towards the yellow.


Once you have your strip of stripes, topstitch on the orange and yellow, close to the seam, using a longer stitch length. It tacks the pressed seam down and gives it a little decorative touch.


Aha! You're ready to cut out your candy corn pieces. Fold the side edge of your strip of strips in until the entire candy corn pattern half fits on the fabric. Be sure to avoid the selvage edge. Press on the fold. Place the candy corn pattern half down and trace around.


 Using fabric scissors, cut out your candy corn.


Repeat once more, so that you have two candy corn pieces.


Place the pieces right sides together and pin.


Use your fabric pen to mark a 2" gap along the bottom of your corn. I am pointing to the left side mark of the gap. This is where you will begin sewing as well.


Using a 1/2" seam, sew around your candy corn, starting at the left mark, and stopping at the right mark. Backtack at beginning and end, and be careful going around the curves. Take it slow and pivot as needed.


You should have a nice opening for turning.


Snip into the curves, without cutting through your seam stitches.


Flip your corn right sides out. Push out the curve "corners" with a dowel or tube turner or your scissors.


Use your fiberfill to stuff the corn, being sure to fill up the curves nicely.

 
 
Sew the opening closed, either with your machine, or if it's tough because of the filling, by hand. Your candy corn is done! If you would like, you can embellish it. I made a little paper label, and tied it on with a piece of spare fabric.
 


If you would rather purchase this item, you can find the listing here .  And if you would like to win one, enter below:

http://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/display/33aa353/" rel="nofollow">a Rafflecopter giveaway


I'd love to know if you decide to make one!
:) allison

Comments

Julie said…
I LOVE candy corn...I would give this to my daughter.
I love it too! So much better for me that it's stuffed - or I'd eat it! :)

Popular Posts